Sunday, February 15, 2009

EVENTS THAT HAVE INFLUENCED MY LIFE


Can you envision your life without difficult and happy moments which require us to change our perspective on life? It’s evident that all people at some point of their lives have been affected by some circumstances without exception. Those events can influence us positively or negatively. I believe that all human beings have gone through many of those moments, moments that come and go without any transcendence. However, I think that there are some moments that utterly change our lives. In my case, there are three moments that have given a special meaning to my life.

Many people immigrate to different countries looking for new and better opportunities, without considering what they leave behind. However, this was not my case, emigrating from Colombia was an experience that changed my life completely. I was studying economic in my country and I had a lot of projects to my life, one of them is to make a master degree. When I finished my career I got a job in an important bank in the city where I lived. With that work I began to acquire experience in my profession and there were several opportunities to follow growing professionally. Nevertheless, I married and as any married couple, we had plans. My husband lived in New York and we saw a good opportunity to continue my professional studies. But it has not been easy; I have to start again and even more, my family and specially my mother, whom I miss so much. I have found several obstacles; one of them is the language, although I have been here for a year, I cannot speak fluently and I cannot quit thinking in Spanish. This has been frustrating for me. Furthermore, it is difficult to cope when you don’t have support from your family and you have children. Sometimes you don’t have anybody who leaves them or you don’t have money to pay for a daycare. When you start to see that the things are limited, you realize that you cannot go at the pace that you want because there is a child who depends on you. Because of that, all of those I explained in this paragraph have been a complicated experience, my desire is to overcome and succeed. The main incentive is my family.

Coming to New York was a very important event that transformed my life, but being mother is the most wonderful experience in the world. Many mothers agree that the most wonderful moment in life is becoming a mother, but it is also the event that brings more changes. “Your life is going to change”, I remember the times I heard this phrase during my pregnancy, and how much it cost me to capture their meaning. Will be better? Or will it be worse? Changes are so many that it is impossible to list them. It’s not a sentence but a challenge, and as every challenge, an opportunity to learn, grow and make us better people. With this most profound change, I discovered an inner strength that grabbed me by surprise and even frighten me by its intensity. Also I felt an instinct of overprotection to defend my daughter. It’s realized that you can go beyond your limit. Likewise, I felt grow inside me a love so strong, powerful and deep, that you ask yourself if you could love another being like this creature. Also, I started to understand, respect and admire my mother as never before. “It’s not possible that my mom had made it,” I thought “two children and alone.” In that moment grew my understanding and gratitude toward her. On the other hand among daily changes, I had to stop my career and dedicate time to my daughter and to learn of my new mother’s role. For that reason when you don’t have experience, everything is more difficult. In my case, I didn’t have the support from my family, so I had to take charge of household chores and my daughter. Despite this, becoming a mother is the most amazing experience, no matter the sacrifices that one has to do.

There are several circumstances that change your life. Some are satisfying as being mother, but there are others that are very painful. I went through a very bad situation when my family had an accident and my mother almost died. My mother was in a coma in the hospital for one month, and we waited for the worst. However I always had hope that my mother would survive. I felt that my entire world had collapsed, and that I wouldn’t know how to continue life if my mother died. It was so terrible for me. But, thank God my mother came out of the coma. Her recuperation was difficult, because my mother had a brain injury. She said incoherent things and she was aggressive. But little by little she recovered. This experience made me a stronger person and taught me to be thankful for having my mother that I love. It also, taught me to struggle against any troubles and adversities. But the most important thing that this experience has taught me, is not to lose faith, no matter what, because, thanks to the faith as big that I had and God, is that my mom is along with me.

All events that happen in life are experiences that leave a lesson. Some are often agreeable; others hurt. In my case, emigrating from my country, becoming a mother and the accident of my mother were moments that marked my life, that moments taught me to appreciate life and its little details.

No comments:

Post a Comment